Sunday, June 10, 2018

When Time Flies

When time flies you find yourself not writing as frequently.
And you find yourself wondering how the year flies by and how the previous months could have been as crazy as they were.
I wish I could say I've stayed sane but the last few months have been filled with EVERY kind of emotion you can imagine--due to some medical scares and relief, finishing up school, and flat out trying to figure out what to do next with my life. It's been terrifying at times and also exciting. Growing up sure brings out every part of you...

To catch up a bit, if you don't mind a lot of info...

Graduation happened! It was one of the most exhilarating and fulfilling experiences of my life. I kept my cap and gown in my closet for a couple years to remind myself that graduation would actually come one day, and it did. I graduated with a Bachelors of Science in Exercise and Wellness with a minor in Family Life. Being able to study about the human body and how to establish healthy family relationships/family lifestyle was one of the greatest blessings. The last seven few years required a lot of work and sacrifice. It also felt remarkable to even be able to graduate given all the health challenges I have faced as my body was beaten down countless times. As the average life expectancy went up from the time I was born, it truly was a miracle to reach this point and fulfill one of my biggest bucket list items. As cheesy as it sounds, I honestly could not have done it without my family, friends, and outstanding, understanding and accommodating professors.








A couple weeks after graduation, I finished the best on-campus job I could have asked for. Being a Wellness Coordinator for BYU's faculty, staff, and their spouses--while putting on events, organizing programs, writing and editing articles for their website, and being a one-on-one fitness coach was very rewarding. I worked with some of the best people who changed my perspective of how an organization should run. I learned a lot from them! To be real, though, it was sure nerve-racking to leave my job without a job lined up. The job hunt has been one of the hardest challenges I've faced, as it's requiring a lot of faith as it's still continuing, but I'm glad to have some direction to get me through for now...


That afternoon when I finished my job, I hurried off to Salt Lake City--bags packed and ready to go for the weekend--for an experience I decided to do last minute. I participated in the Days of 47 pageant several years ago--in fact right after I returned home from my LDS mission in Boston. The pageant was a wonderful experience and I met girls who I am still best friends with to this day. I didn't think I would participate again, though, because life picked up with school, my London study abroad, dating, and getting established with experiences for my career. One of the ladies who helps out with it every year reached out to me and encouraged me to participate again.

I was going to say no--because now was the time for me to get my big girl job as a wellness coordinator somewhere out there and get established in my career. 

And there I found myself in the Days of 47 pageant. To clarify--I do not consider myself a typical pageant girl. I did not want to spend money and time worrying about getting dolled up. I felt too old to be worrying about putting myself on stage for another competition, as my focus turned more towards health coaching and trying to be involved in the business world to help people live healthy lifestyles. Somehow, though, I decided to participate last minute and look at it as "another job interview" because who knew if this would open up networking opportunities and could be a job itself. I remembered the life-changing experience it was several years ago.  I was able to represent another one of my pioneer ancestors--this time Zachariah Wise Derrick--and make more friends with some of the neatest girls. The whole pageant consisted of an interview before the judges so they could get to know who I was--as they asked about questions based off my bio, as I found myself talking about my ancestor, my values, goals, my passion for health and wellness, and a little bit of why I am who I've become during my life--as well as a short speech I prepared, an on-stage question, a musical number with the rest of the girls, and another on-stage question. Surely, I did not prefer to wear as much make up as I was required to, nor have a lot of attention put on me, but I was able to wear a long, sparkly, deep emerald green dress, so that was fine. :) I felt more confident than I did several years ago because I've learned a lot about myself through challenges and trials I faced the last few years. I thought about how much I had grown and hardships I still faced. I made sure that no matter what happened, I would do my best to share my story and who I became while thinking of my great x4 grandfather Zachariah.



The end of the pageant rolled around and I was not sure what would happen from that point. We all stood back in our places on the stands. Soon enough, when the finalists were called, my name was called to be second attendant! I heard some screams and I giddily made my place to the "x" where I was to stand--to then be handed the most beautiful bouquet of roses (the closest thing I have received to 65 roses), to then have a sash placed over me (which I found out was put on the wrong side and everyone was silently freaking out all around me--but I didn't notice or care because I was so happy haha!) and then a tiara placed on my head. All I remember was I couldn't shake the smile off my face and tears started to come. People probably thought they were from the excitement of merely being crowned, but I couldn't help repeating in my head "This was God's plan for me all along! God has a plan for me!" and I could feel myself being led by God's hand right then. I went from being without a job to realizing I would be given a scholarship to help with expenses and had a year ahead with opportunities to serve and feel guided by God's hand. The relief brought tears to my eyes and all the pieces started to finally came together and made sense as to why other efforts I was putting in weren't leading to desired results.




The rest of the night was filled with my mind swirling, a press conference and pictures, embracing the other girls in the pageant, meeting Lauren and Heidi and realizing we were going to spend the year together, and my family and friends who came all the way from Provo running into the room, and feeling showered with love. I was exhausted and also incredibly happy.




(This does not show everyone who came to support me, but it gives you an idea. I did NOT know everyone was there who was--all ranging from my whole family and a good handful of friends! It was such a great surprise!)

Some of the Days of 47 work already kicked into place. I will save all that for another post, but it's been a wonderful experience already. I am excited to work alongside Lauren and Heidi to talk about the pioneers, serve, and bear our testimonies everywhere we go. We have talked many times how much this feels like another mission, as it requires sacrifice and we keep in mind that it's not about us--but about the people we serve while making sure we draw people closer to Christ wherever we go.

We met with last year's royalty to learn tips and what we should take away from our whole experience--which they emphasized is to remember everything we do is to direct people closer to Jesus Christ as we serve.

So far we have met a lot of cute ladies like these right here all over Utah. They are full of optimism, acceptance of life's circumstances, and faith.
Now that I flooded you with all the updates,  I'll be able to write shorter posts that are more focused on thoughts and rambles. I promise.

Stay tuned.

Simply, Rachel Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS