Saturday, March 3, 2018

One of my Biggest Tests of Faith

When I opened my mission call, my eyes grew wide and I broke down into tears.

"You are assigned to labor in the Massachusetts Boston Mission."



Because I put ALL over my papers that I HAD to stay in Utah....

When I decided to go on a mission, I was nervous and excited like anyone is when they begin the paperwork process. While in the process, I realized I was on the state insurance (Utah Medicaid) as my only coverage. Neither of my parents had health insurance at the time, so I had no option but to have this and take charge of it. While working on my papers, it dawned on me that Medicaid is a state-funded, meaning it was only for this state. After a quick phone call, I asked, "If I were to leave Utah, would I be covered?" With a short and abrupt "No." 

That was it. I had to serve in Utah. It was hard for me to accept at first, but since I still felt the need to serve a mission, I went ahead with the process.

Now, fast forward to another part of the story: I was also applying for state disability benefits, during which I had to fill out a lot of paperwork for that. I also went to court, with my mom next to me, right in front of the judge to go over the paperwork. That hearing concluded and the paperwork was submitted.

Weeks passed with doctor's visits and finishing the paperwork process. ALL over it, I put, highlighted and in bold wherever there was a space asking for specific accommodations, "I HAVE to stay in Utah for my medical insurance." Then finally! I was able to submit my paperwork and everyone put in their guess, "Where in the world of Utah...????" I laughed about it because I could go somewhere like Provo where I was already living, South Salt Lake where I was raised, Temple Square or St George. 

In fact, since I knew I was going to Utah, my call came in, but I felt no rush to open it. After all, I already knew (somewhat) where I was going... 
So I finished midterms and cleaning that week and eventually headed home with my call to open it.

Now, remember how I went to court during all the paperwork process? Rewind to the moment--a week before my call arrived--to when I got a huge packet in the mail. I got approved for Disability! I didn't really know what this meant, but I later found out this included what I'll bring up in a bit...

There I was in our living room, family gathered around with a couple laptops open as well. Everyone put their guess where in Utah I was going. It sure seemed silly but we tried to keep it as exciting as Utah could be. 

Letter opener beneath the sealing. I pulled it out. Here we go Utah.

Dear Sister Roy...you have been called as a missionary of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the..." I smacked the call right up to my mouth as my eyes bulged out. I then hauled over and the tears came as my brother said, "Well, I don't think she's going to Salt Lake."

I had to take a moment to talk through my tears, "You have been assigned to the Massachusetts Boston Mission..."

WE ALL SCREAMED and I HAD NEVER CRIED SO HARD IN MY LIFE!!!! The spirit burned in me from head to toe and I felt this was the place I needed to go. 

We talked about Boston and what being there would mean. Then, the question came up, how would I be covered medically? Because my medical bills are NOT cheap!! #cfirl
The following weeks were filled with many phone calls--with my stake president, bishop, mission nurse, mission president and his wife, and back and forth between the head of the mission department and then the head of legal department of the church. I even had my para-legal call me back again and again during the process, asking sharply with a thick trill in her voice, "Is this RRRachel?...This is (her name), I am calling to tell you..." then telling me many rules which I was fully aware of as I heard her rant on.
NO ONE knew what to do. "Somehow" they mis-looked over my papers and did not see my bolded words everywhere that I had to stay in Utah. For the first time in history, a missionary was going out with a chronic, life-threatening condition covered only by State--funded insurance. 

A couple months passed. People kept telling and reminding me that a mission is only an assignment--I could easily be reassigned to Utah. But let me tell you this did not feel right to me--not just because I wanted to go to Boston but because I somehow knew this was the right place for me to go. I was assured that somehow this would all work out. 

Back to my Disability approval--the state department for them were the only ones we hadn't called by now. My mom dialed their phone number and I listened carefully next to her. There she was nodding and all of the sudden, things sounded good. Really good. 

And her phone was beeping as someone was trying to call through during this conversation.

Before we knew it we screamed!! We got the answer--the state department would easily transfer my insurance to Massachusetts!!! It was one of the sweetest moments of my life!!

Fast forward, as my mom called the missed call right after we hung up. It was our stake president, and we shared with him the news we finally got!!

His reply: "Well good! Because I just got off the phone with the head of the mission department, and we were just about to re-assign you to Utah."
(If you want a funny side note, my paralegal called right after then, asking sharply with the same thick trill in her voice that I dreaded, "Is this RRRachel??? This is (her name). I am calling to tell you..." I really felt Satan hated me right then and wanted to discourage me as she ranted about how I wasn't supposed to leave and there were all these rules, even though she didn't have the full picture like we did then.)

Guys, if this wasn't all a miracle, I don't know what is.
I had filed the papers. I even went to court. There were lots of phone calls and unknown answers.
God knew where I needed to be, and He knew how to get me there. He was the ONLY one who had the answers--the answers that trumped the government, church authorities and leaders with their best guesses, and what all seemed impossible.
This was seriously one of the biggest tests of faith I have ever had, even to this day. 
And it made going to Boston so.much.sweeter...and that was only the beginning of something I never knew I'd treasure so much. 




Now, this mission is so special to me as any RM's mission is important to them. There are no words to fully meet the very, very funny moments, feeling scorching summer heat and then seeing the leaves bloom in New England autumn leaves, the winter storms and the mini hurricanes, the illnesses magnified by my CF and trials fought, the moments where the spirit was so sweet, learning how to conquer fear of sharing and inviting to the point there was little fear, seeing people come closer to Christ and their Heavenly Parents--seeing their joy and seeing them change, and the profoundly sacred experiences.

I've summed up in the past what I've learned on my mission, but this right here I will expand a little more to some of the direct lessons learned, taken from my "list journal." (Some are quotes given by others.)
  • Life can be hard, but it's even harder when you don't acknowledge/put time for the Lord and His gospel in your life.
  • "Consecration is the only surrender that's also a victory."-Neil A Maxwell
  • Zion is not a place but rather a way of life.
  • Your companion comes first
  • Every person has their faults, but you can choose to outweigh them with their goodness and strengths. Focus in on their positive traits and build them up.
  • Do appreciations. Let your companion know every day what you appreciated about them that day, and you will bond closer.
  • "You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think, and stronger than you seem."-A.A. Milne
  • There are miracles we don't see. 
  • People have the ability to choose
  • Give your all, but then know that you're giving your all, and that's all the Lord expects
  • Sacrifice on behalf of those you love is of infinite worth and value. It is important to learn how, when, and what to sacrifice for one another.
  • Some things can wait.
  • It. Takes. Time.
  • What can make the difference between performing music and making it powerful? Worshipping through music.
  • Heavenly Father doesn't look at things pertaining to time (i.e. our own time frame) but rather looks at things pertaining to quality.
  • People will often not care about what you have to teach/won't listen unless you show them you genuinely love and care for them.
  • Sometimes you may find yourself wanting to and trying to change someone, even when you don't believe you are. It all comes down to only they can change themselves, and it's through the Savior's Atonement that truly changes them when they allow it to.
  • Find joy in work, not necessarily joy in success.
  • "Why take the easy route when you can make a memory?"-President Packard
  • "I hope we don't do much correcting. I hope we do more encouraging."-President Packard
  • "Everyone has the same problem--that is to figure out how to be happy with the life we're given."
  • "PAMITT-People Are More Important than Things or Time."
  • "Work like everything depends on you and every prayer depends on the Lord."-President Packard
  • "If you have enough faith to motivate you to do good, then you have enough faith..."-President Packard
  • "A humble person doesn't just look up for answers. They look sideways and in every direction all around them for answers."-President Packard
  • "The Holy Ghost feels like chocolate melting in your mouth."-a young girl named Phoebe in one of my areas
  • "Come to the edge. Allow Him to push, and fly." -Elder Jeffrey R. Holland at our Mission Meeting
  • Christ is always there and is always mindful of you.









No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS