Friday, February 16, 2018

Hospital Hacks

For all my CFers out there (as well as anyone who may be in the hospital more frequently than others, with some exceptions): I figured it was time to make this post since I have had people comment and ask about some of my discoveries when it's come time for a "tune-up."

Because let's be real--as positive as we try to be while in the joint, it's not easy. Perhaps you're like me when it comes to trying to find new things to do, ways to keep safe, to cope, or just plain have some fun? (Trust me when it comes to that--I'm starting to be known as the girl with the "party room" or the one who does things that are out-of-the-ordinary.

Here's a list I've come up with. Please keep in mind that I am aware everybody's condition is different--I know what it's like be there ill--ill to the point where you are under quarantine and un-allowed to leave your room or have little energy to do much at first. This is a list based off of some of my experiences that anyone can pick and choose from based on their condition and needs.

To keep safe: 

1. (This tip was from my good Cyster Somer who many of us know): Sanitize everything when you are admitted into a new room. Sure, the room gets cleaned when a patient leaves--but you never know how deep it's cleaned. Somer advised me to wipe all handles, the sofa, the chairs, the bed frame--everything. It never hurts to do a little extra!

2. Which also brings me to putting a sign outside your door and asking for people to wash their hands--not just santitize--before they enter.

3.  Take the stairs as often as possible/when you are able. You may wonder why so here it is--
Less people take the stairs, meaning less germs are there than in the elevators. Plus, your lungs are pushed to work a little harder, meaning higher pfts (not to mention wearing a mask makes them work even harder.) I have a rule for myself that I always take the stairs if I am physically able, and I feel like it always helps my numbers go up and I am less exposed to all the germs!

To cope:

1. I feel like most CFers know this one, but it's to do everything to make yourself feel "at home." I love to bring in my quotes I always have hanging up on my bedroom wall above my bed. I bring my own pillow and my bed comforter to make it more comfortable and add some color to the room. I also bring forms of media such as books or DVDs. Bring projects to work on, whether they be paintings and crafts, something to build or improve--I even brought my keyboard during one of my admissions, which helped to fiddle around on the keys and have some live music at my fingertips. This is what sets our rooms apart, so have fun with it!!
****Also, this includes bringing some of your own food from home. I would bring some food I knew the hospital wouldn't have and have my parents bring left overs at times. It made a difference!

2. Spend time outside. (If you are able.)  I know time in between treatments is limited, so squeeze in any chance you can get! The fresh air works wonders.

3. Be creative!! I couldn't emphasize this enough! This last admission, I decided to bring my hammock that I recently got with me. It was initially planned to try to take place of my bed if it was still robotic like before (one thing I cannot stand is the bed moving all the time! Try having one leg above the other or one hip sideways or your legs above your head haha). Well, I did everything I could to try to find a way to hang up my hammock inside, but it didn't work too well (haha see the picture below). With that not working, I found a courtyard outside with all these trees where I could set it up! I was seriously in heaven! Even though I would still need to bring my IV bag with me, "hanging out" outside, reading a book, away from it all was just what I needed at times!!


                   I didn't get a picture taken while at the hospital in the hammock, but this gives you an idea how it felt.

4. Also, with being creative, I know how it is to get so sick of the hospital food. I know it's not ideal to "cook" in the hospital, but if you want to there is a way. With this in mind, Find ways to be creative with your meals. If you want to change things up, bring food from home that you think would go well with some of the food in the cafeteria. For instance, try bringing some frozen pasta from home, then go to the salad bar and add in some fresh mozzarella, chicken, and spinach.  Then have everything heated up in the nurse's station's microwave. Haha I finally figured out this was a solution towards the end of my stay, and it was the closest thing I had to a home-cooked meal at that time.

The salad bar can also have some great options in the mornings that aren't available at other times in the day. At the U of U, they have so many fresh berries in the morning. I love to grab a bowl or a plate full (guys I really love fresh berries. It's a good problem to have, right?) and would put them on pancakes in the morning, in a salad (with poppyseed dressing from home), or in ice cream for dessert. That's only one example but there are ways to change things up...and make them healthier!



5. Stay active. Take walks when you can. Be sure to exercise. Along with being creative, if you need workout ideas, see if the hospital has a yoga mat and if not then bring one. Resistance bands work well, as well as doing exercises with a chair like tricep dips or step ups.

6. Find your "quiet spot", even if it's not ideal. The hospital can be a noisy, busy place. I remember this last time how crazy my first couple days were. To add to it, I wasn't allowed to leave my room the first few days and I know many are quarantined. Every single kind of practitioner or therapist you can imagine came in non-stop. Literally, if I picked up a book, someone would come in. If I turned on a movie once they left, someone else would. Requesting breaks didn't work so well then since there were so many people. You can guess where I finally figured out nobody would bother me if I just needed a break--yeah, in the shower. I know that's not ideal and it can sound gross but it was the place I could get, and it worked! Haha :p If you are allowed to go outside, I highly recommend finding a place out there--and I again emphasize to bring a hammock if you can!

7. Bring thank you cards with you. There is something that is therapeutic about being able to write out simple notes to people, and it helps you appreciate people's acts of kindness even more. During this last stay, I was so appreciative of my doctor who brought me a loaf of whole wheat bread since it's what I craved, the man who bough our whole unit each our own pizza (which was the best kind in the valley), and those who were just kind. I was glad I had those cards on hand to scribble out quick notes, and they also made their day. I feel like the very thoughtful people don't get told enough how appreciated they are! (If you want to know of a good place to get some, Target always has a darling selection in the $1 area.)


Last but not least, have fun! (as well as you can ;) )

1. If you are like me and love to have people over, Think of your room as the party room!  Have things available for when people come over. You could bring fun games--all from board games to card games to everything in between like "Speak Out" that'll lift everyone's spirits through competition and laughter.

2. Have your own "marathons." Make it a challenge to watch your favorite movies or finish a whole series.

3. Watch your favorite sports games--take advantage of having cable TV!! When my dad was over, we had a good time watching the Warriors play the Jazz.

4. Find small things around to make you laugh or smile. For instance, I remember seeing hospital signs in my room--like the "Call if you are at risk of falling" when there was a lady--looking perfectly healthy and put together in the hospital--reaching her hand out to an attractive male nurse--to have her "pull her up when she was falling" with a large smile on her face and twinkling eyes. Yeah yeah woman I see what you did there. ;)
See what I mean? Look for little things and you may get an extra laugh.

Now, what tips do you have to make stays easier? I'd like to know! (Really though, for future reference, so let me know!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS